From:
Mary Clark Gaston <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 May 2006 21:47:38 +0100
Dear Museum Professionals,

I am a student at University College Dublin, studying to receive my MA
in Arts Management and Cultural Policy.  I am conducting a small
survey on the topic of interactive exhibits in art museums as part of
my primary research and I am writing to request your assistance.  My
thesis research will be an examination of the value of hands-on
displays in the context of the fine art museum, and how these exhibits
fit within overall museum policy and educational framework.

I would greatly appreciate it if any of you would be willing to take
the time to fill out a brief questionnaire, especially museum
educators, exhibit designers, and anyone with a knowledge of or
interest in hands-on exhibits.

I have typed the questionnaire below. If you would prefer to have a
copy in Microsoft Word document format, or If you have any questions,
please respond to this message.

If you would like a copy of the final research project: "The Value of
Interactive Exhibits in the Art Museum", please let me know.

Thank you so much for sharing your valuable time and knowledge!

Sincerely,

Mary Clark Gaston

Rm. No. G03-06-02
Glenomena
University College Dublin
Belfield, Dublin 4
Republic of Ireland

Research Questionnaire: Interactive Exhibits in the Museum

Please answer the following questions to the best of your knowledge.
Use as much space as you feel necessary to answer each question.  For
the purpose of this study, interactive exhibits refer to hands-on
displays that actively involve the visitor.  The responses obtained
from this mini-survey will be used in a qualitative analysis of
interactive exhibits in the art museum for the purpose of scholarly
research. If you have any questions or comments, please contact me via
e-mail ([log in to unmask]).  Thank you so much for your time.

1. Name:

2.        Title or Position:

3.      Name of Museum or Organization:

4.    Type of Organization (Art, science, history, other):

5.  What would you consider to be your museum's top two priorities?
(Collection care, education, research, access, innovation, etc)

6.       Does your museum currently (or did you previously) have any
interactive/hands-on exhibits? (If NO, skip to QUESTION #12)

7.       If yes, please give the title, and/or a brief description of
the exhibit:

8.    Does this exhibit target any specific age group or type of visitor?

9.     What was the museum's intention in creating the exhibit?
(Aesthetics, education, new technology, entertainment)

10.   Were you involved in the concept development or exhibit design process?

11.      If so, what was your role? (SKIP to QUESTION # 13)

12.      Is there a reason that your museum does not use interactive
exhibits? (For example: lack of resources, preference of traditional
exhibits, etc)

13.   Does your museum use staff members to interpret, design, and
create exhibits, or is any of this work contracted by an external
organization?

14.  In your opinion, are interactive exhibits useful as educational
tools in museums?

15.      More specifically, are there any unique benefits to using
hands-on exhibits in the Art Museum?

16. Are there any disadvantages or drawbacks you can think of to using
interactive exhibits in the Art Museum context?

17.      Is there any other information relating to interactive
exhibits and education that you believe to be pertinent and/or
important?

When you have completed the survey, please send to [log in to unmask]
or as a reply to this email.  Once again, thank you for your time and
assistance!