From:
Lucy Sperlin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 May 2006 10:27:14 -0700
Lynne

This is a rather 'off the top of the head' answer, and I'm no tax lawyer,
but from what I have learned at museum law workshops, if the Historical
Society is meeting it's mission and purpose in preserving the house,
donations to that purpose would be tax deductible regardless of how the
house is preserved after it is saved --that will be just an ongoing part of
the preservation and 'good stewardship' process. Whether the city owns it or
the Historical Society, it is still preserved for the benefit of the public.
It might even be possible (and perhaps even wise) to preserve the link by
writing the Historical Society into an agreement with the city in some way,
in an oversight role, when it is transferred to the city.

It would be an entirely different story if the Historical Society took "pass
through" donations for a non-501(c)(3) entity that had no clear relation to
it's charitable purpose.

I think there was a Museum-L thread a few months back on public-private
partnerships.  You might check the archives for that.

Lucy Sperlin
Butte County Historical Society
Chico, California