Date:
Thu, 9 Mar 2006 22:11:38 +0000
Hi Anna,

I was just about to recommend the Canon 350D (Digital
Rebel in the US) or Nikon D50, both good basic digital
SLR camera's. However I have a 350D for personal use,
and it has an issue that might effect it's suitability
for shooting objects in a museum (which is not what I
bought it for).

The issue is that unlike consumer digital camera's the
LCD screen on a digital SLR (any digital SLR) only
shows you the image after the shot is taken, because
until then the mirror is between the sensor and the
lense, so it's 'blind'.

This doesn't effect pro photographers because they all
compose shots by looking through the viewfinder (it's
only the great unwashed who try to shoot while looking
at the LCD screen). But it might effect museum use if
you mainly want to check if the object is centred on
screen while the camera is on a tripod. Looking
through the viewfinder at waist height all the time
could get repetitive after the 8,563rd object.

On the other hand you also want to avoid most
'consumer grade'. They claim high pixelage (8 to
10Mp), but squeeze these out of a much smaller sensor
than semi-pro SLR's, which means lower ISO speed,
lower quality and poorer colours. But they are
cheaper. These are the type that *do* allow onscreen
preview of what the camera is seeing, before you take
the shot.

So rather than the SLR's I suggest the only camera
that I know of right now that has both an SLR size
sensor *and* a 'live view' LCD screen to set up your
shots, and that's the Sony DSC-R1. It also has a nifty
flip around screen that might be useful in shooting
objects in awkward locations, or from odd angles. It's
10 megapixels, which is easily enough for your
purposes. It also get's very good reviews.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonydscr1/

(The Olympus E-330 SLR looks like it might have some
similar features, including 'live view' but it's going
to be more expensive, and it isn't available yet.)

A good site for very detailed camera reviews is:
http://www.dpreview.com/

For pricing check Froogle:
http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=DSC-R1&hl=en&btnG=Search+Froogle

Jeremy.