From:
Stephen Topfer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Mar 2006 13:35:57 -0800
Anna,

The best site on the web for reviews is dpreviews.com they have very
detailed reviews and comparisons and links to retailers.  As for
recommendations we have been using a Digital Canon Rebel with a better
quality Tamron lenses for two years and it is a surprisingly good camera
for the money (I think in the US it sells for under $900.)  We have used
this for publication quality images with no complaints.  Mind you if you
spend more money you get better stuff but the whole diminishing returns
thing starts to happen, eg Nikon D 200 or Canon 5 D with their high end
lenses costing 3-4,000 more then the Rebel.

But no matter what your budget you should visit the dpreview site it is
very helpful.

Stephen

At 03:37 PM 09/03/2006 -0500, you wrote:
>Hello,
>
>My museum is in need of a new digital camera and I was wondering if
>anybody had any recommendations? We have a limited budget and we need it
>primarily for digitizing objects for the database. We will need to
>occasionally take quite nice, high resolution, pictures for publications,
>exhibits, etc. What are some good brand names, how many mega-pixels are
>really needed, what are the price ranges? Is there a reputable on-line
>site with better deals? Any information would be most appreciated. Thank
>you.
>
>Anna
>

>Anna Narissa Dhody
>Collections Manager
>Mütter Museum
>College of Physicians of Philadelphia
>19 S. 22nd Street
>Philadelphia, PA 19103
>(215) 563-3737 ext. 273

>Important Subscriber Information:
>
>The Museum-L FAQ file is located at
>message to [log in to unmask] . The body of the message should
>read "help" (without the quotes).

>[log in to unmask] . The body of the message should read
>"Signoff Museum-L" (without the quotes).

Stephen Topfer
Collections Manager
Art Gallery of Greater Victoria
t. 250.384.4171x.292