From:
Eileen Sears <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Mar 2006 23:18:17 -0600
I have recently begun working at a museum where the collections are a
confusing mess.  Currently the museum assigns an accession #(2004.2) and a
catalog #(9788). The Acc# is attached only to the Deed of Gift and each item
that is accepted receives a catalog number.  This double numbering started a
few years ago.  The objects are marked with the catalog number and an index
card is created using this number. Additionally a card is created for
subject and if the donor has previously donated the object is added to that
card, if not, a card is created. There is also no folder created for each
object.  The Deed of Gift is put in a folder where all of the years
donations are kept-no particular order.  In addition, there are objects that
have been accepted by the collections committee that have been waiting for
several years to actually receive an accession number and be placed on
shelves.  There are also objects that have been waiting for a determination
since 2004.

If I want to know the information about an object I have to get the catalog
# off the object, go to the file and get the accession number, then go to
the yearly file and flip through until I find the Deed of Gift.  There is no
real file where I can look at accompaning letters, condition reports, ect.

I have only recently become a curator and as such I have to have a solid
argument for any changes I propose, I am hoping for some input. Pro's and
Con's.

Starting now--
*Assign only an accession number  ie) 2006.10.2  year/Sequence of the
transaction/2nd object in that transaction
*For all previousely accepted objects use the catalog number that is already
assigned...including the ones accepted during the time when both catalog
numbers and acc#'s were assigned.  All of these objects are already marked
with the catalog number.
*Complete a condition report.
*Create a folder for each accession number-file Deed of Gift, Condition
Reports, relevant provenance, ect.

Lastly, there is a fellow employee who has found it necessary to
occasionally take objects from the shelves, without noting it...this
concerns me because it is haphazard and as the curator I feel that only I
and the Director should handle the objects without an OK from at least one
of us.  I want to know, with relative ease, where everything is.

Thank you in advance for any help you can give me.

Elaine