From:
"Richardson, Lindsey" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 May 2006 12:37:57 -0400
I want to thank everyone who responded via email or phone to my request
for information about seismic monitoring.  Thanks to your information
and advice we have managed to survive the first onslaught of test pile
driving unscathed.  What a relief!

For others who may also be interested in this sort of information: a
very kind colleague forwarded to me a copy of the Swiss Standards, which
are the holy grail of vibration information (at least in my experience).
I will be happy to email a copy of these tables to anyone who is
interested.  The summary of key data is this:

Source M - background vibrations (construction, traffic, etc.)
Source S - blasting operations ('peak' vibrations - high drama, such as
pile driving)

For museum objects, the highest recommended threshold for M is .12
in/sec.  For S the recommended range is .31 to .47 in/sec.

We never came anywhere close to .31 during pile driving.

It is my recent experience that humans will freak out at the .08 and
higher readings - this means we worry a lot more than necessary, a lot
sooner than necessary.  But at least our early warning systems are in
place.

If you'd like a copy of the tables, please let me know.

Thanks again,

Lindsey Richardson
Curator of Collections
Boston Children's Museum