From:
David Harvey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Apr 2006 11:20:27 -0700
Chuck,

Yes, this has been a subject of previous discussions.

As an objects conservator with many years of museum experience and a
few encounters with this issue I would advise the following:

1.  Any device that emits solid particles or dropplets of anything,
even water, will be harmful to many types of objects and artifacts in
collections.

2. Dry ice foggers emit a gas but that cloud is very cold and will
form instant condensation on warmer surfaces.

And it all depends on what your definition of "Damage" is. I can
attest that there are things that will accelerate deterioration and
"damage" that may not be readily apparent to the eye at the moment,
but are more subtle and accumulative (RH cycling, light exposure,
pollution, dust, etc.). But many people, especially the public, tend
to only see damage as something really apparent such as tears, cracks,
losses, changes in color, or corrosion, etc.

Do you have a collections management policy that covers the
intersection of the collections and site usage - things like
photography and filming policies, food and beverage, object handling
by non-staff, etc.?

Cheers!
Dave

David Harvey