From:
Marty Buxton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Apr 2006 15:19:13 -0700
At Lindsay Wildlife Museum our visitors are primarily
families with children.  While we do have a discovery
room and an exhibit hall full of live animals, we also
have various kinds of art exhibits frequently.  In our
primary non-living gallery space, we make sure to
include a variety of children's activities along with
the art.  Currently we have Ansel Adams:Inspiration
and Influence in this space.  In addition we are
running a video about Ansel Adams and have puzzles and
games on the floor.  We also have a child size table
with two taxidermied specimens and paper and pencils
for children to draw.  In this instance the drawing is
black pencil only in keeping with the black and white
photos.  Having these child-oriented activities allows
the adults to view the photos while the children are
involved in the middle of the floor.

We would never allow drawing materials without
supervision, but with supervision it works well.  The
games and puzzles are themed to our animals and were
created by us.  We provide carpet squares (inexpensive
and easily replaced) to sit on the floor.

Marty Buxton, Curator
:Lindsay Wildlife Museum