From:
Janis Wilkens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Apr 2006 11:15:07 -0400
As a past Access user, the main problem I have with Past Perfect is that
it does not interface with other programs. The collections management
forms (loan documents, etc.) that come with it are not likely to be
useful "as is" to every museum, and the editing system is rather arcane;
also, it is difficult to create new forms/reports that look
professional--and they're not added to the main menu for (for example)
incoming loans, so you have to remember where they are. It would be
really nice to be able to create forms at will in, say, Word, and
import/export data to those forms from Past Perfect.

I also did *not* find this program quick and easy to learn, beyond
really basic functions. The printed manual is a useful beginning
overview, but frustrating to use, and usually does not contain the
information I want to know. I recommend it only for those just learning
the program who want to be walked through the basic features. The
program lacks features that are now standard in Windows, such as an
on-line "help" function.

I did not get the personalized training. Don't know whether that would
have helped or not.

I love their tech support, though--they've really tried to help, have
explained the limitations of the program and helped me figure out ways
to work around them. They're also open to taking suggestions for
improvements--the improvements may never happen, but at least one feels
they're listening!

Past Perfect also has the advantages that many other museums are using
it, and that it's a proprietary program that should not require
programming knowledge to use it. And since you're not trying to program
it anyway, losing your institutional expertise shouldn't affect the
usability of the program.

Still miss the flexibility of Access, though . . . it was nice to just
add new features as needed.

Janis Wilkens
Registrar, Levine Museum of the New South
200 E. Seventh St.
Charlotte NC 28202-2508
Office hours: Tuesdays & Thursdays, 10:00-3:00
http://www.museumofthenewsouth.org/