From:
David Harvey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Oct 2005 08:55:30 -0700
William,

You should consider having an experienced objects/archaeological
conservator to examine the objects and perhaps either do the molds or
write guidelines and specify materials for them. It is especially
important because the materials that a casting contractor might choose
for the job can contaminate and eventually harm art, historical, and
anthrpological obejcts and artifacts - using things like parting
sprays and highly sulphanated silicone rubbers, or thermo-setting
compounds that produce high heat, etc., even if there is no physical
damage there can be chemical damage from molding.

There are a number of references and reports on the molding and
casting of musuem objects in our professional literature.

There are some very skilled and knowledgable objects conservators in
the Atlanta area.

Go to www.aic.standford.edu, the web site of the AIC and follow the
link to their free online guide to services to find a qualified
conservator in your area.

Cheers!
Dave

David Harvey