Date:
Tue, 30 Aug 2005 14:15:54 -0400
Apart from the important instance of 'hate speech' (for clarity I am
referring to General Chong, USAF) and the reaction to a call for what
could certainly be termed mass murder if not genocide, and the role
that the cultural sector organizations must or should play in
responding to that, internally among their own staff, if not
externally, there is a more general and broader social relevance.

Consider this:

"Museums can be powerful identity-defining machines. To control a
museum means precisely to control the representation of a community and
some of its highest most authoritative truths. It also means the power
to define and rank people, to declare some as having a greater share
than others in the community's common heritage - in its very identity.

... It is precisely for this reason that museums and museum practices
can become objects of fierce struggle and impassioned debate."

[Carol Duncan, 'Art museums and the ritual of citizenship'. Karp, I.
and S. Lavine (eds.) Exhibiting Cultures: The Poetics and Politics of
Museum Display, Washington, DC: Smithsonian.1991]

Of course museums are not the only and certainly not the primary
powerful identity-defining machines in this society. Perhaps CNN or Fox
News does it for you. Nonetheless, there's more to 'inclusion' than a
session at AAM every other year.

-L.D.