From:
Amy West <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Jan 2006 11:43:35 -0500
I haven't been following this thread, I figured David Harvey would speak to it.

You should talk to a book conservator if these books are of any value.

I would absolutely NOT NOT NOT put them in the sun. The sun will
yellow and embrittle the paper, fade the ink, affect the binding
materials, etc.

Bag and freeze, yes.

Vacuum with HEPA or brush off outside or in a well-ventilated area, yes.

The absolute best thing is to isolate these things from the rest of
your collection so that the spores don't spread. And to control
moisture and humidity to prevent their growth.

Unless these things are really irreplaceable, they pose a great risk
to other items in your collection and it may just be better to just
get rid of them.

If these are valuable or their information irreplaceable, talk to a
book conservator. Possibly control the mold for now and scan them and
then pitch the originals.

Check out the Northeast Document Conservation Center's or SOLINET's
Web site for help on mold & mildew on books.

http://www.nedcc.org

---Amy West (book conservation neophyte)