From:
Gerald Rojek <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Sep 2005 20:03:48 -0700
Hi,

First of all, I'd like to thank Allan for striking up
this conversation and sticking his neck out for what's
right.

I am amazed at some of the assumptions by art
administrators regarding this topic. To think that an
artist should just be happy with exhibiting as a
"resume builder,"   "advertisement" or "form of
gratitude" is exploitative.

I've worked for a small non-profit and we gave $250
honorariums for artists to exhibit at our institution.
Never once did I hear anyone in our 3 person staff
(one part-time) worry about whether we were going to
close up because we spread the cash around.  We felt
honored that the artists were willing to exhibit at
our institution and didn't expect them to be grateful
to us (although most were).

Somehow, some administrators think it is the other way
around. They think they should be receiving the pay,
the thanks, and all the institutional perks (like
being able to enroll in the state pension system) as
they remind the public they are generously doing this
for our own good. I despise this attitude in the
cultural non-profit sector.

If our cherished educational and cultural institutions
are to survive then they must represent the best of
our national and community standards. To not honor
another's work is to cheapen our values and risk the
integrity of our institutions.

If there is the will or comittment to paying an artist
a fee or honorarium to exhibit, it will be done.

Gerald Rojek

http://mail.yahoo.com