From:
Janice Klein <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Nov 2005 16:51:47 -0600
You might start with the Museum Store Association's Code of Ethics, which
discusses the sale of replicas and reproductions, as well as the prohibition
on selling deaccessioned items.   A clear internal policy (perhaps regular
curatorial review of materials) with signage in the Shop that explains the
reasoning for what is being sold (and not sold) is always a Good Thing.

We have a similar concern with contemporary Native American art we sell in
our Shop (which we also collect). I review everything that is purchased for
sale in the Shop and on occasion divert a piece to the collection.

janice

Janice Klein
Director, Mitchell Museum of the American Indian
www.mitchellmuseum.org <http://www.mitchellmuseum.org>