From:
Megan Balderston <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Sep 2005 08:47:58 -0700
Actually, I have had the opposite experience. When an
intern brings a different set of skills to the table,
it can be a win-win situation.

For example, we recently had a college-level intern
who was majoring in graphic design. As a result of
this, she was able to create a number of ads and print
materials for us that otherwise we would have had to
shop out. She still did more "intern" types of
projects, such as cleaning up a database, but we
figured out what she had that we needed and used it.

She has some real work experience that she can show
people, and we were thrilled with her.

The main thing here is that both the organization and
the intern should have a need that can be met by the
other. The only unsuccessful intern situations I have
seen were ones in which either there wasn't enough for
the intern to do, or the expectations of the staff
were too high.

Megan Balderston
Director of Education and Public Programs
Hinsdale Center for the Arts
Hinsdale, IL