From:
"Mary L. Kirby" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Sep 2005 11:01:45 -0500
On Thursday or Friday I heard how Verizon was getting "cow"s and "COLT"S
into New Orleans and other sites. Those are Cells(?) on Wheels and C's on
Light Trucks, which are portable towers which they can get into a site on an
emergency. We forget that after the signal gets to the tower, it requires
power to be boosted to the sattelite or the next tower. It seems that with
fiber optic cable they also need an independent electrical source, unlike
the old copper  telephone lines which had their own source of power which
could last up to weeks after a storm.

However, the idea of sharing with people in the shelters so they can try to
reach relatives is great.

I bet Verizon and Celluar One and the others have donation sites also.

Mary Kirby

From: "Tammy Espaillat"