From:
Terri McNichol <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Jul 2005 10:11:05 -0400
Dear Museum Colleagues

I happened to be a tourist who arrived in London on Wednesday night while it
was basking in the fantastic news of its selection to host the 2012 Olympics
only to be turned upside down by the mindless, horrific bombings on Thursday
morning. Blissfully unaware of what was unfolding, I walked to the Tate
Museum that morning and the fact that it remained open for the day (all for
closing off the Turner Galleries and the main entrance) is a tribute to the
indomitable spirit of the British. It reminded me that it has to do with
their heritage--calm defiance in the fact of attack such as the daily street
concerts that were held during the WWII Blitz in recognition of the
importance of the arts in such inhumane times. I recall American museums
re-opened on September 12, 2001,and am glad that those museums were there
for tourists and Americans alike to find solace.

I am grateful to Londoners for providing me and countless tourists visiting
their great city on Thursday a safe haven and contact with the comforting
healing power, hope and timelessness provided by works of art.

Writing from home with immense gratitude and appreciation,

Terri McNichol
Ren Associates
707 Alexander Road, Bldg. 2 Suite 208
Princeton NJ 08540
Telephone +1.609.371.5354
Cell +1.609.638.5878
www.renassociates.com

-Capacity Building to reinvigorate nonprofits and their communities through
creative collaborations.

Recent presentation: "The Art of Leading the Museum: Managing for Wonder,"
at the 4th Annual Critical Management Studies Conference, Cambridge, UK,
July 4-6.

Upcoming article: "Creative Marketing Strategies in Small Museums: Up Close
and Innovative," in an upcoming special issue on creative marketing in small
nonprofits in the International Journal of Nonprofit and Voluntary Sector
Marketing.

Recent Workshops: "Good to Great: Appreciative Self-reflection on Personal
Leadership" presented to Executive MBA candidates at Fairleigh Dickinson
University. "Self reflexive OD Concepts from the Confucian World" at the
Seventh Annual Sharing Day of the New Jersey Organizational Development
(OD)Network,  NJ.