From:
Stephen Nowlin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Oct 2005 10:58:42 -0700
On 10/19/05 9:21 AM, Dan Schoeneberg's electrons arrived as:

> There used to be a brand of moveable walls called mila-wall that were high
> quality paintable surface walls that looked great. They were pricey, but over
> the long term, the cost benefit probably balanced out. A quick Google search
> should turn something up.
>
> If you are on a budget, the old stand by of hollow core doors painted and
> bracketed together might also work. Not as fancy, but workable. These may have
> to be replaced every so often though.

I think the problem with movable walls is that they have to be designed to
stand upright in defiance of gravity, and this usually means support
appendages or other design compromises that can leave you with a
"trade-show" aesthetic in exchange for portability and ease of installation.
The movable wall-systems I've seen have a hard time achieving the simplicity
and elegance most museums want for their professional displays.

In the past, we've built simple 8-foot high by 8-foot long by 2-foot deep
plywood "box" walls (painted white) that stand up on their own because of
the 2-foot-depth.  They can stand alone or be shoved together end-to-end to
make a 16-foot long wall.  Or, they can be positioned at 90-degrees and
create corners.  They don't break down for storage, of course, but they can
be pretty easily shoved around by two people -- or even just one, if you're
willing to struggle with it.

The other thing we've done is to take three hollow-core doors as Dan
suggests above, stand them on end, and hinge them so they can form a
free-standing equilateral triangle.  The sides of the triangle can also be
wider than a door, if you're willing to construct them yourself out of
plywood -- a benefit being that you can nail or screw into them, which is
pretty clumsy to do with a hollow-core door.

_____________________________________
S t e p h e n    N o w l i n

http://xrl.us/stephennowlin

Vice President,Director,