From:
Indigo Nights <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Oct 2005 06:18:04 -0700
--- Deb Fuller <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> On 10/18/05, Indigo Nights <[log in to unmask]>
> wrote:
> And how is this different from any other museum with
> a director and a
> board of directors that set policy and run it?

You're confusing nonprofit v. government.  Nonprofit
has a board and a set of vested interests running it.
The interests of a government entity are the public at
large (not the enrichment of the few).

So why should the
> NPS hire people
> that don't agree with its policy and agendas which
> are handed down
> from the DOI and ultimately from Bush?

Of course that was a rhetorical question, right?  I
explained already why I believe they should not agree.
 Did you see the news yesterday where the DOI is using
OLD environmental impact data so that drilling can be
allowed?  They're waiving environmental impact reports
to fast-track drilling (see
http://www.sacbee.com/24hour/politics/story/2815889p-11457990c.html,
but you'll have to register to view).

They work for "us" only in
> the sense that we
> voted on the people that are their higher-ups.

Here's where we fundamentally disagree.  I don't
believe we elect a king.  The president, congress, the
cabinet, etc., work for us, the people.  It's naive, I
suppose, to still hold onto that basic precept taught
in grammar school, but they do.

So if congress, which
> is supposed to be
> the voice of the American people, chooses to cut
> land from the NPS, it
> serves to reason that they do that because the
> American people want
> them to do it.

Not anymore.  It's the vested interests of the few fat
cats that are being served, not you and I.

The difference with the
> federal
> government, is that because it's supposed to
> represent the American
> people, we can speak out and let her know that we
> want something
> different than what she is doing.

Shall I offer you the link to MoveOn.org?

Indigo Nights