From:
Jay Heuman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Aug 2005 15:33:54 -0600
All:

I'm unsure if I experienced some inexplicable excitement due to the 'Wizard
of Oz' reference or had a flitting thought this message might contain
helpful information.  Sadly, I found yet another message that implies we,
museum professionals, are not doing enough.  And though I've spoken in
Indigo's defense in the past, this time I'm quite confident in saying this
advice is not reasonable.  Passionate, yes; but not reasonable.

A majority of museums depend upon miniscule advertising budgets, take
advantage of every PSA opportunities, and often go about developing some
pretty slick PR materials in-house.  But no matter what fancy flyers,
posters, billboards, newspaper inserts, etc. are produced . . . spending
priorities by individual citizens and governmental agencies rarely include
'education' or 'culture' these days.

[Yes, the current administration can shout from the rooftops all they want
about the "improving economy" . . . but I'll believe it when everyone in
this country has food, clothes, shelter, a decent education, and decent
medical care.]

Do not mistake this message for a pity party.  It is a call for reason ("a
rational motive for a belief or action").  Museum employees should work
reasonably toward achieving the mission(s) set forth by their
board(s)/supervisor(s).  It's that plain and simple.  As occurs with
mergers, bankruptcies, and other business catastrophes . . . some museums
will last and, sadly, some will not.  It's a gamble we museum professionals
should recognize and acknowledge as we step on the playing field, or after
one (or more) enlightening experience(s).  Yes, it's a loss the general
public may not feel until a museum is gone; but you can't make someone
recognize value unless they experience it for themselves.  And you must not
feel guilt for leaving work at the end of a long, hard day doing what you
do.

For those who keep harping on what museum professionals are not doing . . .
offer reasonable advice, do it for us (professionally or as a volunteer), or
remain silent.

But do not lead us to "cry wolf" in a time when there are many wolves
already circling the wounded prey . . .

Sincerely,

Jay Heuman
Curator of Education