From:
Dan Bartlett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Aug 2005 13:22:54 -0400
Cait:

I would echo what Fielding Freed said about increasing attic ventilation.  As a former residential remodeling contractor I've dealt with similar probelms in homes both old and new.  As Fielding says there are many options for increasing the circulation and there are a wide variety of ways to increase ventilation without disrupting the look of the house.  The second part of the solution would normally involve vapor barriers like plastic sheathing and certain paints, but these are probably much less practical given your preservation mission.

Fielding makes another imnportant comment:

"When you insulate the ceiling of an attic, it is very likely that condensation will occur between the insulation and the roof itself and of course water means mold."

This applies to walls too.  If your inside humidity is high enough to cause the probelms you're having in the attic, I would bet it's also happening in the walls.

I would start by talking with a local remodeling contractor with a good reputation who does a lot of interior work in older homes (a lot of "remodeling contractors" only intall vinyl siding and roofing).  They should be able to assess the probelm and make some basic recommendations about ventilation and barriers.  Then take their recommendations to a preservationist and/or conservator for adivice on materials, systems and coatings.  But check out those walls.  In the end they could be your bigger problem.

Best of Luck,

Dan

--
Dan Bartlett