From:
Indigo Nights <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Jul 2005 16:16:37 -0700
As an aside, there are many companies that allow you
to carry sick time from year to year (accrued sick
leave).  As Matthew indicated, it allows for
individuals to be paid at full pay until such time as
the sick time is exhausted.

However, in many instances, it's not a full cash-out
option if you do not exhaust sick leave before leaving
(whether voluntary or retirement).  In many instances,
the cash value of unused sick leave is significantly
reduced (often 1/5 of the balance on the books).

Sick, vacation, and other paid time off is part of
one's total compensation.  It is actually a part of
your "wage".  Not using it, in some ways, is actually
forfitting your salary.  So, Art, take all you've
earned, LOL.

The problem?  As happened in the 70s and 80s,
employers are now swinging back in the direction of
monitoring time off (even though given as a benefit)
in terms of performance.  You may be "given" 10 sick
days a year.  Take more than what the employer feels
is reasonable (and this is often a moving target), and
your future raises and appraisals may suffer.

The issue, in my mind, is will the employer bring
someone in to backfill behind you at a cost to them,
or will everyone else lump along until you get back?
If the latter, it was something for which you were
provided as part of your compensation package, and you
shouldn't lose a minute's sleep about needing to use
it.  If the former, where the employer has to fill
behind you for a fee to them, it can be a problem for
all concerned.

It's best to consult with someone in your state as to
specific labor laws that apply to your area.

For California members, see http://my.ca.gov  Once it
rolls to the California web page, click on the Labor
and Employment link on the left and then the
California Labor and Employment Laws and Regulations
link.

--- Matthew White <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>> Small anecdote: My mother also earned enough sick
> leave to be ill for an entire year. When she retired
> she was allowed to either be paid outright for the
> hours, or count the year as an additional year
> worked toward her retirement benefits. She opted for
> the later and saw a noticeable increase in her
> retirement check.
>
> Matt White

Indigo Nights