From:
Timothy McShane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Sep 2005 15:27:02 -0600
>>> [log in to unmask] 09/21/05 12:30 PM >>>
whereas Mr. McShane is pointing out the capital outlays of a commercial art
gallery.

Actually, I had intended to be pointing out the capital outlays of non-profit institutions that support artists' exhibits, for which the institutions (generally) seek no recompense from the featured artist(s).  I may have muddied the water by using "gallery" to refer to non-profit venues, as that is the term most in vogue in Canada to describe art spaces (whereas I understand "art museum" is frequently used other parts of the world)--my apologies.  I'll also admit to a rather sloppy analogy that did refer to commercial galleries.  My point was that if an artist were to mount an exhibit outside a museum's walls, all that overhead--rent, heat, light, security, retail staff, insurance, etc., etc., would have to be bourne by the artist.  Public museums generally provide all this as part of their end of the deal in working with the artist to put on the exhibit.  Surely the provision of these services counts as something towards supporting the artist?  And that an honourarium is not the the only way for a museum to show respect for the artist?

As for the points regarding other professions expecting payment for their services (shippers, printers, etc.), I know I've gone to these businesses looking to again "partner" with them (allowing a print shop's logo on a catalogue or promotional material in exchange for a reduced rate on their service; looking for shipping company's to donate their employees' time for a delivery while I paid the costs of fuel, etc.)--sometimes I was able to get these concessions, sometimes not.  And, if not, I'd have a decision to make--can I afford what I want, or do I have to order fewer brochures or work in black-and-white?  If shipping a piece is more that I can afford, then I may have to forgo including that piece in a show, or try to find alternate shipping arrangements (and, I've spent days travelling to pick up and deliver pieces that were within about a 6 hour driving radius).  An artist's fee would be one more consideration along that line--if it became more than I could afford, I'd have to look for something else.

And, while I don't know the details of the receptions Mr. McCollum has attended where he has been the only one in the room who is not being paid, I can't recall the last opening I've gone to where there weren't museum volunteers (bless 'em) on hand, who weren't getting near the recognition that the artist was, yet still not being paid.

A for-profit gallery invests in PR, real estate, etc. in anticipation of a
profitable return on sales.  The artist and gallery get paid when the work
sells.

A non-profit museum or university gallery is a completely different ball
game.  I think we at museums should pay artists something when they exhibit
their work with us, especially since we do not promote or broker sales
through the museum. Here we do not book shows unless we can afford them;
meaning, I don't book a solo artist show unless I can afford to pay the
artist an honorarium and travel expenses.  Likewise, I don't book a show
that requires a dedicated security guard unless we can afford to pay one,
and so forth. When the budget gets crunchy, we find ways to produce
less-expensive exhibitions (from the collection, from local collectors,
etc.).

I can't say we pay much - usually $250 each - to our artists, unfortunately.
No one has ever gotten mad at us for the modest size of the check, as yet.
I have found that the more financially successful artists will decline an
honorarium, but seem happy to be offered one.     If we just start thinking
of an artist honorarium (small or large) as a non-negotiable exhibition
expense, like wall labels, shipping, and a mailing, it would go a long way
to making it a standard practice.  It works for us.  If it means one less
exhibition per year (and the rest a week or so longer), I think it's worth
it.

Jill R. Chancey, Curator
Lauren Rogers Museum of Art
PO Box 1108
Laurel, MS 39441
(601) 649-6374
www.LRMA.org
[log in to unmask]  (temporarily: [log in to unmask] until email service
is fixed)

PS: A quick aside, while I have your attention: please click on
http://www.arts.state.ms.us/katrina.html  for information on the arts in
Missisippi and how to help artists and institutions that have been affected
by the storm.  Many of our regional artists have lost their homes, studios,
and jobs.   Please don't forget about them.  Thanks.

Tim McShane, Assistant--Cultural History
Medicine Hat Museum and Art Gallery
1302 Bomford Crescent S.W.
Medicine Hat, AB   T1A 5E6
Tel: (403) 502-8587

Disclaimer: The information transmitted is intended only for the
addressee and may contain confidential, proprietary and/or privileged
material.  Any unauthorized review, distribution or other use of or
the taking of any action in reliance upon this information is
prohibited.  If you received this in error, please contact the sender
and delete or destroy this message and any copies