From:
Jill Chancey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Sep 2005 13:30:25 -0500
It seems like you all are talking apples and oranges:  for-profit gallery
exhibitions vs. non-profit museum exhibitions.   I believe Mr. McCollum was
talking about being the only unpaid participant in an art museum exhibition;
whereas Mr. McShane is pointing out the capital outlays of a commercial art
gallery.

A for-profit gallery invests in PR, real estate, etc. in anticipation of a
profitable return on sales.  The artist and gallery get paid when the work
sells.

A non-profit museum or university gallery is a completely different ball
game.  I think we at museums should pay artists something when they exhibit
their work with us, especially since we do not promote or broker sales
through the museum. Here we do not book shows unless we can afford them;
meaning, I don't book a solo artist show unless I can afford to pay the
artist an honorarium and travel expenses.  Likewise, I don't book a show
that requires a dedicated security guard unless we can afford to pay one,
and so forth. When the budget gets crunchy, we find ways to produce
less-expensive exhibitions (from the collection, from local collectors,
etc.).

I can't say we pay much - usually $250 each - to our artists, unfortunately.
No one has ever gotten mad at us for the modest size of the check, as yet.
I have found that the more financially successful artists will decline an
honorarium, but seem happy to be offered one.     If we just start thinking
of an artist honorarium (small or large) as a non-negotiable exhibition
expense, like wall labels, shipping, and a mailing, it would go a long way
to making it a standard practice.  It works for us.  If it means one less
exhibition per year (and the rest a week or so longer), I think it's worth
it.

Jill R. Chancey, Curator
Lauren Rogers Museum of Art
PO Box 1108
Laurel, MS 39441
(601) 649-6374
www.LRMA.org
[log in to unmask]  (temporarily: [log in to unmask] until email service
is fixed)

PS: A quick aside, while I have your attention: please click on
http://www.arts.state.ms.us/katrina.html  for information on the arts in
Missisippi and how to help artists and institutions that have been affected
by the storm.  Many of our regional artists have lost their homes, studios,
and jobs.   Please don't forget about them.  Thanks.