Date:
Fri, 16 Sep 2005 16:07:07 -0400
Yes, indeed, a museum selling 'antiques' is an ethical conflict
according to the ICOM code (sections 8.14, 8.15, 8.16) and clearly the
board members and volunteers in question are in need of some guidance
in regard to museum ethics.

I think that elsewhere, one assumes that US museums uphold the ICOM
code of ethics. Within the US, I doubt most museum staff know what ICOM
is. Unfortunately, the AAM is less than helpful in terms of ethics
guidance (as a review of the work of the ethics committee over the last
15 years will attest).

Within the US, the Museum Trustee Association (which once was a SPC but
which left the AAM) might be a helpful resource for developing a code
of ethics for your organization.

-L.D.