From:
carey stumm <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Jul 2005 11:11:02 -0700
We ran across this same problem when we aquired
pastperfect. Our last database did not organize the
records by accession number or object ID but by a key
# that was assigned automatically when the records
were created.

I am currently in the process of changing this system
and have been assigning object id #'s based on the
type of material. Posters, Maps, and Moving Images in
our collection are organized based on a classification
system so I use the classification number and the
original key number.
Our object collection is of course in the same
predicament as you all and is almost entirely
accessioned while the archive collection does not have
enough documentation.
It's hard to try to start from scratch and it seems as
though each Museum needs to figure out what works best
for their collection.

Carey Stumm
Associate Archivist
New York Transit Museum