From:
George Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Jun 2005 18:44:00 -0700
--- Prevart GmbH <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Hello,
> One of our clients (a major museum) will have to move its collection
> of
> several hundred historic flags and banners to new premises. Some of
> the
> flags dating from the 15th century AD to our times are in really very
>
> bad shape and litterally dissembling in smaller parts. The doorways
> of
> the actual storage in a classified historic building are so narrow
> that
> it is impossible to move some of the flags lying on a support (e.g.
> the
> support have to be tilted or even handled in an allmost upright
> position).  Due to the fragility (crispness) of some objects they
> can't
> be rolled nor sandwiched or pressed between two boards. Any
> experiences
> or suggestions to solve this delicate problem with least loss
> possible
> would be very much apreciated  ...
>
> Joachim Huber, Prevart GmbH
> --
>
> Prevart GmbH - Museumsplaner - Konzepte für die Kulturgütererhaltung
> Oberseenerstrasse 93
> CH-8405 Winterthur
> www.prevart.ch

Joachim,

First question I have is why not treat and consolidate the flags before
the move if they are in such poor condition? Trying to move them
presents a real risk &#65279;to the flags'survival and the money that
will be spent on the extra effort to move the flags could be put toward
the long overdue conservation treatment instead of being wasted
unnecessarily. But I'm sure there must be a reason, so this is what I
would do:

I understand from your explanation, that the flags are presently stored
lying horizontally on a flat surface. You did not indicate if this
horizontal surface may be tilted vertically to pass through the door,
or if another flat support surface would be needed for the transport.

In either case, you might try using suction to hold the flags to a
rigid support. This support may be any rigid board with a fabric
attached to it to allow air to circulate, onto which you would lay the
flag, then cover it with sheet of extremely thin and light weight
plastic, polyethylene, &#65279;polypropylene or other, seal the edges
hermetically and apply gentle suction with a vacuum cleaner, just
strong enough to hold the fragile flag to the background, but not so
tightly, that you cause damage.

If the flags are too fragile even for the pressure created by the
plastic membrane, use a gossamer thin fabric as the membrane, like
non-woven polyester like Reemay, Crepeline or other gauze like material
to drape over the flag. You will need a much more air volume to hold
the porous fabrics and a probably a perforated board with a baffle
behind it. (You could also construct a frame, stretch screening across
the face and install a closed back)

Actually, if the Museum has access to a portable and/or tiltable
suction table, like what's illustrated here:
http://www.museumservicescorporation.com/textile.htm
you could probably lift and manipulate the flags by masking out the
area around them and allow the air resistance through the fabric of the
flag to act as the force holding the flag to the support. This last
solution is the most gentle, since nothing touches the flag except a
stream of air.

It sounds like a fun project, I'd love to be there to see how it goes.
Let me know if you want anything clarified. Viel Glueck!

George

George Schwartz
ConservArt - Master Frame Makers and Art Conservators
http://www.ConservArt.com
8177 Glades Road #16 - Boca Raton, FL 33434 U.S.A.
Tel:(561)482-7292 - Fax:(561)482-6787
mailto:[log in to unmask]

*** Tired of Spam? Checkout Email Defense!

http://www.lanechange.net/html/email_defense.shtml