From:
Seth Eiseb <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Jun 2005 08:23:00 +0200
Dear All,

I have noticed recently something strange happening on our round study
skins. These are small mammal skins that was collected many years ago and
was processed and stored as round study skins stuffed with cotton wool. It
seem to me that something is macerating the study skins from inside, the
effects of which could be seen on the belly. The affected specimens have got
a dark/black oily area that smells like tar. It looks like that the effect
starts from the place where legs are attached to the body and then spreads
until it macerates the belly completely only leaving black, thick oily stuff
on the cotton wool. I just wanted to know what could be the likely cause and
how to stop and prevent this.

Thank you.

Seth Eiseb