From:
Marielle Fortier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Jun 2005 13:03:27 -0400
Hello,  At a museum I worked at a few years ago the beer cans in their
collection had been punctured in the bottom with a small nail and the
substance drained out.  As a museum tech I also had the lovely job of
opening, emptying and cleaning a World War (one or two-I just can't
remember) mess kit.  The sugary stuff had melted in their wrappers, but the
canned goods were just gross.  The OJ in one can had started to eat away the
interior of the can, other were starting to expand.  We took pictures of
before, during and after and yes I held my breath and wore rubber gloves.
Once cleaned we were able to properly store the mess kit with out worry of
anything exploding, leaking or attracting bugs/rodents.

Marielle

Marielle Fortier
Museum Registrar
Vermont