Karen Barlow <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 8 Jun 2005 16:48:20 -0600
Mandy,

Just a few thoughts, with a couple "Check to make sure the computer is plugged in before calling IT" stuff.

Are you reindexing all files before you scatter/gather?  I'm a bit anal about reindexing and do it before and after major projects like s/g

Are both computers being backed-up before the scatter/gather (At least if info is lost, it can be retreived)?

If you change a record in one computer, are you also working on that same record in the other computer before doing a s/g?  S/G may be updating only the last change chronologically (if you have different changes to the same record in computer 1 and computer 2 before s/g, s/g probably thinks the last change made chronologically is the most current.)

One of the problems I have had with s/g is my computer not recognizing the transfer disk as being valid, normally a click on "try again" or "continue" will straighten things out and it will work fine.  I have not noticed any loss of data during this.

Hope this helps, if not the folks at PP customer service are great.
Karen

Karen Barlow, Registrar
Campbell County Rockpile Museum
900 W 2nd St
Gillette, WY  82716
307 682-5723
email: [log in to unmask]

>>> [log in to unmask] 6/8/2005 10:48 AM >>>
For those of you who use PP and use the scatter/gather function do you have problems with data being lost during the transfer? Now I'm not talking about a one time glitch here, I mean consistently?

We seem to loose or screw up data with every scatter/gather. I really like PP as a program and find it very easy to use but I am not the one doing the scatter/gather so I'm wondering if this is a major flaw in the program or some serious and repeat human error on the part of the person doing this for us.

I would obviously like to determine which of these is the case because I am afraid that either way our database is going to be permanently screwed up by this and I need to know which way to come at this.

Thanks for the help.