From:
Punk Librarian <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Jun 2005 16:16:57 -0700
If words can evolve - why can't the intelligence of the world's major religions?
Thus is the problem with writing.
Maybe the Druids really had it right by teaching the dangers of
writing things down.

http://www.wordorigins.org/wordorp.htm

Pagan
While the etymology is very different, this word developed in a
similar semantic pattern as heathen.

The English word pagan is from the Latin paganus or someone who lives
in a rural district, or pagus. In Latin, the word meant a villager or
rustic, and was also used as an antonym for miles, or soldier.

The term appears in English in the 14th century. In English usage, it
means a non-Christian, or someone who is not a soldier of Christ, a
sense that had developed in the Latin by the 4th century AD.