From:
"Mary L. Kirby" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Jun 2005 08:35:23 -0500
It was my understanding from what my father told me (and he corresponded
with lots of service men) was the use of the APO meant that the mail went
any where in the world at domestic rates. I never asked if the serviceman
had to pay to send mail home, but it cost his family and friends only 3
cents to send him a letter using the APO, and I think air mail was 5 cents
then and went to 6 cents in the 1950s.

At the Historic Upshur Museum in Gilmer, TX, they have perhaps a dozen
emails from one family. Only one or two arrived at the museum without an
envelople and the then curator accessioned both parts. One she had planned
to use in a display sometime because it had about four forwarding stamps on
it. It was sent near the end of the war and it could not catch up with the
sailor. In the case they have, most of the letters from the sailor were
complaining about the family not writing, but apparently their letters were
just not catching up to him.

Perhaps in your case, either people did not save the envelope before giving
it to the museum, or someone at the museum thought the envelope took up too
much space. The envelope has a window through which the address on the email
showed, so no one had to waste time addressing envelopes.

Mary Kirby