From:
Mark Janzen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Jun 2005 11:32:07 -0500

Joshua,

Thanks for pointing that out. ID and the Discovery Institute do not seek to

merely undermine scientific understanding and supplant it with theology in

the realm of biology and evolution. They also seek to philosophically

revamp our understanding of physics and the cosmos to better fit their

Biblical interpretations. I will accept your judgement, without having seen

it, that the movie in question does not relate directly to Darwinian

biology. Anti-science is none the less still anti-science.

I agree with you entirely; open discussion is always a good thing. The

topic is evidently a hot one, judging by the activity on this listserve

alone. That should certainly be a big part of what we do in museums and

educational institutions of all types. The point however is not that ID

should not be considered or discussed, but that it should not be considered

scientific. The gap between the two can not be crossed effectively with any

degree of dialogue, unless you choose to use intentionally evasive and

convoluted language in that discussion. ID and science are incompatible.

Discussing ID in relation to science of any sort is not going to be

valuable or progressive as an exhibition theme. We do not have to

negatively engage the segment of society that has been drawn into this

concept. We should not engage the discussion at all. That is the core of

the controversy at the Smithsonian. It is not about fighting ID, which

would be both fruitless and wasteful. Nor is it about finding some sort of

mutually agreeable middle ground. It is about making sure that people

understand the distinction between science and faith, as well as the

difference between what the DI says and what it means.

Under no circumstances should science or our professional standards be

brought down to the level of ID, just because we fear some segment of the

population can not grasp it, or worse refuses to understand/accept it based

on their faith. That kind of concession undermines both our educational

integrity and the validity of the information being presented. Our efforts

should be in seeing to it that our visitors are provided with accurate and

informative experiences, not gratifying their philosophical leanings. If

home schooled children are not able or willing to grasp the science that

runs the world around them, then we have little choice but to accept that

they did not learn what we hoped from our material and move on. That should

not be the impetus for our educational departments to try and find a way to

support their point of view by trying to mix faith and science. It should

however be disappointing enough for us to seek some way to fix that flaw in

our educational system.

Mark Janzen

Registrar/Collections Manager

Edwin A. Ulrich Museum of Art

Martin H. Bush Outdoor Sculpture Collection

Wichita State University

(316)978-5850

             Joshua Steffen

             <raincaller7@YAHO

             O.COM>                                                     To

             Sent by: Museum           [log in to unmask]

             discussion list                                            cc

             SE.LSOFT.COM>                                         Subject

                                       Re: Smithsonian / ID Movie (I read

                                       the book)

             06/04/2005 02:08

             PM

             Please respond to

             Museum discussion

                   list

               SE.LSOFT.COM>

Mr. Stoke,

Thank you for your considerate opinion and clearing the air. It is exactly

true that this movie does not deal with Darwinian Biology at all. It is a

concentrated discussion on areas of cosomology and astronomy. Too many on

this list have reacted too quickly by jumping to conclusions without really

investigating what the movie is about, but again is this not normal human

behavior?

Too many are quick to slap a label of "fundamentalism", "conservatism",

"irrationalism", etc. rather than realizing that the ID movement is a

fledgling movement whose primary interest at this stage is to do exactly as

you say "open the door" for other lines of inquiry. Its own explanatory

power is still pretty small, but that is why it is fledgling. For a good

and balanced rhetorical analysis of the ID movement and its history I would

recommend the book by Thomas Woodard entitled, "Doubts About Darwin." If

anything else it provides an account of the evolution of this movement.

Everyone wins when there is continued engagement of open and serious minded

intellectual explorations. Frankly, I think, the easy classification

afforded by the culture wars, keeps the discussions about "what does all

this data mean," from taking place. Each side continues to improve its

logic and grasp of the evidence, and society as a whole advances its

understanding when civic engagement is encouraged. Label, shut-down, create

exclusionary policies and everyone looses.

Museums are places of dialogue. If anyone disagrees they better talk to the

AAM because that seems to be the direction of the profession. Dialogue is a

TWO way conversation between the museum and its resources and the museum's

community. Both can learn, both can grow from the interaction. How does the

profession plan to work with homeschoolers who are coming to museums in

increasing numbers and whose worldview is vastly different than the

profession as a whole? Can we continue to talk down, talk at, and generally

negatively engage this segment of the community? What about other segments

of the population? If that is the rules of communication modeled in the

instance of origins, are we doing this in other subject areas, with other

population groups? Are we ultimately defeating our own purpose of spreading

knowledge? People build understanding upon what they already know. A good

educator is able to start from where their audience is, bridging the gap

between the visitor's knowledge base and the new concept. The gap is

crossed through dialogue.

You can not expect to reach a visitor without building relationships to a

particular community. Treating groups of people as ignorant, irrational,

simpletons (as true as it may seem to you) that do not understand the

sophisticated heights of science, does not help the building of the

relationships necessary to impact society in the ways museum professionals

desire. We need to understand our roles differently, we need to understand

that the root of the problem lies in the very basic worldview assumptions

that frame our day to day organizational operations.

In closing, I would like to put forth two quotes from the AAM publication

"Mastering Civic Engagement," that really capture what I just stated:

   “In these new relationships we will regard ourselves as reservoirs of

information and expertise and will relinquish our traditional authoritarian

 roles in favor of new responsibilities as both resources and facilitators

   of dialogue about those things that matter most to people” [emphasis

                                  added].

n“Obstacles to change are often internal to our institutions. . . Sometimes

 these best practices are so embedded in the axioms of our work that it is

    nearly impossible to recognize them as obstacles” [emphasis added].

                           Food for though, Josh

John Stoke <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

 I tried to post these comments on Thursday, and again on

 Friday, but I think we were having server problems. Perhaps

 this one will take...

 **************************

 Dear Colleagues,

 My institution, which is the science and operations center

 for the Hubble Space Telescope, appropriately requires that

 the communication of personal opinion be identified as such,

 and as not representative of views held or endorsed by the

 institution or its governors or sponsors. I hereby so

 declare, and suspect that this message will testify to the

 wisdom of that regulation!

 A good number of months ago while in a bookstore I spotted a

 book in the astronomy section entitled "The Privileged

 Planet." (This is the book upon which the movie under

 discussion is based.) One of the first things I do

 when a book intrigues me is to see whether its dust jacket

 contains an endorsement from anyone I know. I found these

 two:

 "This thoughtful, delightfully contrarian book will rile up

 those who believe the 'Copernican principle' is an essential

 philosophical component of modern science. Is our universe

 designedly congenial to intelligent, observable life?

 Passionate advocates for the search for Extraterrestrial

 Intelligence (SETI) will find much to ponder in this

 carefully documented analysis." - Owen Gingrich, Harvard-

 Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics

 and

 "Impressively researched and lucidly written, The Privileged

 Planet will surely rattle if not dislodge a pet assumption

 held by many interpreters of modern science: the so-called

 Copernican Principle (which isn't actually very

 Copernican!). But Gonzalez and Richards' argument, though

 controversial, is so carefully and moderately presented that

 any reasonable critique of it must itself ad dress the

 astonishing evidence which has for so long somehow escaped

 our notice. I therefore expect this book to renew - and

 to raise to a new level - the whole scientific and

 philosophical debate about earth's cosmic significance. It

 is a high class piece of work that deserves the widest

 possible audience" - Dennis Danielson, Professor of English,

 University of British Columbia.

 Owen Gingrich is a respected historian of astronomy (and

 please note his affiliation with a scholarly component of

 the Smithsonian Institution) and has given invited talks to

 our science staff as part of our academic colloquia series.

 Dennis Danielson is the editor of an acclaimed anthology of

 cosmological writings entitled "The Book of the Cosmos." He

 was an invited lunchtime speaker at an American Astronomical

 Society a few years ago, and subsequently was an invited

 colloquium speaker here for a talk entitled "The Great

 Copernican Cliché," a presentation that generated a more

 spirited discussion afterwards than most that I have

 experienced here.

 When (still in the bookstore) I flipped through the book I

 found hundreds of citations from the scientific literature,

 respected journals such as the Astronomical Journal, the

 Astrophysical Journal, and so on.

 Since this promised to be the kind of science-related book

 that I enjoy the most, one that endeavors to synthesize data

 and advance an interesting point of view supported by that

 data (in this instance, the point of view that there really

 is something special about the earth), and since one of the

 co-authors is a bona-fide university research astronomer (I

 didn't know much about the Discovery Institute and its co-

 author), I bought it and read it.

 I read a lot of astronomy books and I found this one to be

 more thought-provoking than many. The attributions by

 Gingrich and Danielson were, on the whole, accurate; the

 book is written in a humble tone and gives the reader a lot

 to ponder. It's a rather gentle presentation of ideas and I

 found the modesty and near-tentativeness of the authors'

 tone ingratiating. I didn't detect anything that struck me

 as particularly sinister or anti-science (there were no

 appeals to the Bible, no appeals to god-of-the-gaps

 miracles), although the book does promote a view that is

 certainly not in line with fashionable philosophical

 worldviews within academia. I did not find the arguments

 overwhelmingly convincing -- it's more of a door-opener to

 some new ideas -- but they certainly did cause me to

 consider the difference between well-entrenched assumptions

 in cosmology and conclusions supported by data. There were

 literally dozens of moments in which I found myself

 reacting "Hmm. hadn't thought of that before." (Example:

 Could the fact that spiral galaxies have observed rad ial

 metalicity gradients across their disks mean that there are

 galactic 'habitable zones' (places where the proportion of

 heavier elements enables the development of life) akin to

 the 'habitable zones' thought to exist around stars (places

 where the temperature and thermal stability are conducive to

 life)? Interesting idea.)

 The book does not deal (at least not to my recollection)

 with the biological "Intelligent Design" dispute, but is

 more an advancement of a point of view with respect to

 the 'anthropic principle' in cosmology, and it could be

 considered an extension and expansion of arguments put forth

 by Ward and Brownlee in their book "Rare Earth." Perhaps one

 could think of the book's subject as being a 'cousin' to ID

 in that, like ID, it argues for the notion that intention or

 purpose could be inferred from characteristics of nature.

 Overall I'd say that the book deals with the kind of

 questions that resonate greatly with the public: "OK, you've

 collected lots of data, now tell me: What does it all mean?"

 Perhaps it could be said to straddle the line between

 physics and metaphysics. I enjoy books like that, even if I

 don't necessarily settle into agreement with an author's

 position. I would like to think that science museums could

 be venues for interesting discussions about 'what the data

 mean, or might mean.' So long as a discussion is clearly

 identified as such, and properly distinguished from the data

 itself, it could provide an invigorating reminder of one of

 the reasons science is done.

 I have not seen the video, and don't have any plans to, but

 I do have a hard time imagining how the elaborated arguments

 in the book could be reduced to that format. The book's

 force depends on the gradual accumulation of a lot of

 individually small ideas and observations and I don't see a

 short video doing that nearly as well . (But of course I

 could be wrong, having not seen it.)

 Sincerely,

 John Stoke

 John M. Stoke

 Manager, Informal Science Education

 E/PO Lead, The James Webb Space Telescope

 Office of Public Outreach

 Space Telescope Science Institute

 3700 San Martin Drive

 Baltimore MD 21218

 USA

 Tel +1 410 338 4394

 Fax +1 410 338 4579

 http://hubblesource.stsci.edu

 http://jwstsite.stsci.edu/

 The Museum-L FAQ file is located at

 read "help" (without the quotes).

 [log in to unmask] . The body of the message should read "Signo

 ff Museum-L" (without the quotes).

Josh Steffen

Longwood Graduate Program

126 Townsend Hall