From:
Sue Baker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Jun 2005 12:22:38 -0500
The Waukesha County Historical Society & Museum has completed the first
phase of renovations. We stayed open throughout the process, though we
posted signs "Excuse the dust...." During jack hammering we had a box of
ear plugs at the front entrance and offered them at no charge to anyone
who visited. Some people stayed away, but others seemed like witnessing
the evolution. No work was done in the public space during open hours.
Later this year we will begin work in the public space and will need to
have the public use another entrance and move our store temporarily. We
also will need to close sections of the Museum. Staying open sent the
message to our community that we were moving forward, that nothing was
stopping, just improving. It worked for us. We used the opportunity to
tell people, "You will be able to tell people you saw the Museum when...."

Sue Baker
Executive Director