Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Stephen Nowlin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Jun 2005 16:43:49 -0700
It's fine to imagine that some intelligence spans the gaps in our scientific knowledge, and it's fine to wonder if life is the reason why the cosmos has a particular order, or vice-versa.  It's fine to write books about such speculation, to lecture about it, and to form organizations around it.

But science is different than all that.  Science is a methodology applied to understanding the natural physical world.  A book or film the interprets scientific data as metaphysical speculation should not be confused with the actual practice of science.

It is the disingenuous attempt to elevate Intelligent Design to equivalence with the practice of science, to make it appear as if the issue is just one of open dialogue between equally credible scientific theories, that causes the science community's adverse reaction.  Nobody who truly understands science is being fooled (unfortunately that's not necessarily the case with a majority who do not understand the nature of science). The Discovery Institute does not exist to free intellectual dialogue from bias, it exists solely to push an agenda.  It wants for science to admit that its uneven tapestry of knowledge is likely stitched together by a god.  That's not science, it's metaphysics.

There's been no "jump to conclusions" about either Intelligent Design or the Discovery Institute's desire to appropriate a share of the scientific credibility associated with the Smithsonian name.   These discussions on musuem-l, however, have been a great way to reinforce with clarity the difference between true science and the modus-operandi of its imitators.

Stephen Nowlin