From:
Indigo Nights <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Jan 2005 13:19:21 -0800
Two pointers:

1.  Listen to that little voice that sits just on the
other side of your belly button. Go with your gut
instincts when you interview, and don't let your
vanity of "Oh, I got a job" get the better of you.  If
you have doubts along the way, listen to them.  I
didn't once, and lived to pay for it. I took the wrong
job for the wrong reasons.

2.  You're probably going to be nervous when you
interview, and you may have a whole concerto running
through your head when you're supposed to be listening
to the question that is asked of you so that you can
clearly and succcinctly respond.  When they ask you a
question, you may be thinking:

o  I wonder if I sound stupid?

o  What was it my professor said?

o  Gee, it's cold in here!

o  Was I nice to that lady in reception?

o  How many other candidates are they interviewing?

o  Are they going to pay for parking?

o  Oh, my gosh, I'm hungry, I hope my stomach doesn't
rumble!

Distracted by that concerto in your head, you may
start out to answer the wrong question.

Stop, take a deep breath, and rephrase the question.
Make sure the one you're about to answer is really the
one you were asked.

Trust me.  I know how that part goes.  The voices in
my head and I have experience with such matters
(smile).

--- Michael Cahall Duquesne U <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Dear Sarah:
>
> Good luck with your interview next week.  It's been
> a long time since I
> have gone through a similar process, but I still
> remember many of the
> interviews I had--good and bad.
>
> The one "tip" I would give you, as I give to many of
> my students, is to
> keep in mind that you are interviewing them just as
> much as they are
> interviewing you.  You need to make sure the
> institution is a place where
> you would like to work and one that would help in
> your professional
> advancement.  You're looking for a job and want to
> impress them.
> Remember, they are looking for an employee and need
> to impress you, too.
> I always felt that made the interview process a
> little easier for me.
> It's not all one-sided.
>
> Again, good luck.  I hope all goes well for you.
>

> Sincerely,
>

> Michael Cahall, Ph.D.
> Assistant Professor, History and Museum Studies
> Duquesne University

=====
Indigo Nights