Date:
Wed, 2 Mar 2005 12:10:00 -0500
Robert,

I can offer a few thoughts on the matter, based only upon my own
experience:

It is not surprising to me to learn that Galleries (Art Museums) are not as
well attended as, say, a science museum.  Art (like math) intimidates the
average person, from a number of perspectives.

Why?  Off the top of my head, I can think of several reasons:  There is ?
at least in the United States, if not Canada ? a pernicious
anti-intellectualism that seems to attack art in particular; a simple
appreciation of beauty seems almost frowned upon within the field; it is
expensive, for the most part (for the average Joe) for obscure reasons; and
entering the average gallery feels a lot like entering a church of an
unknown religion.  So, for the 'Average' person, art is an opportunity to
feel ignorant and foolish.

The average person does not understand the dynamics of representation, and
therefore has no language with which to discuss anything other than their
own opinion.  This is also intimidating.  "I don't know art, but I know
what I like" is not a very satisfying comment to have to make ? especially
when one is a product of a religion or society which is rather concerned
with 'right' and 'wrong'.  So:  Just voicing an opinion (especially while
in the Gallery) is to take the risk of having the wrong opinion:  About
something that everybody knows is deeply respected by "smart" people.

Art is complex stuff that can be apprehended from many angles: to confront
art is to confront mystery.  Mystery is uncomfortable.  Art is also a
complex field, which most artists do not grasp in any clear way. Even
artists, themselves, are often unable to articulate very much about their
process or motivation.

Galleries and museums have done relatively little to demystify their
subject.  Perhaps because it is difficult to do so?  Ok, Monet is
important.  You know that.  But why?  What did he do that was so important?
Even when this is addressed, it is addressed, for the most part, in the
impenetrably academic language of art critique.  You can easily walk out of
a gallery feeling dumber and more confused about art than when you walked
in.

The average science or history museum, on the other hand, is all about
demystifying their fields: you walk out of a science museum feeling like
you know a bit more about science.

Is this more what you were looking for?

John Moriarty