From:
Jay Heuman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Apr 2005 11:09:29 -0600
The web site Diane provided is better than most.  Still the photographs
don't have an alt-text; the caption font size does not increase/decrease;
and the navigation tabs (along top) are graphical and hence do not increase
and decrease in size.  The font increase/decrease functions in my Safari web
browser (Macintosh), though it does function in Internet Explorer.  (It
likely works in FireFox and Netscape Navigator, too.)

But let's be realistic.  Most museums do not have a full-time web site
designer; and few are financially loaded.  Web site design suffers as it is
typically an additional responsibility of some lucky (?) designate, a task
some web designer in the local community volunteers to do, or is outsourced
for the cheapest contract.

No matter what, take the time to check designs at Bobby
(http://bobby.watchfire.com), a free service.  You enter a web page URL in
the field, then choose to compare it to Web Content Accessibility Guidelines
1.0 or the US Section 508 guidelines.

Best all,

Jay Heuman, Curator of Education
Salt Lake Art Center