From:
Michelle Zupan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Feb 2005 14:02:03 -0500
Katharyn,

	What a hot button topic you chose for research! Not long after the
NAGPRA law was passed in 1990, I was working at a large natural history
museum in the American West.  They Native North American collections were
impressive and extensive.  There was definitely a suspicion among some staff
members that the entire repatriation issue was a ploy to divest museums of
their collections (native or not, sacred or not).  We held many
consultations and repatriated fewer than 2 dozen artifacts and no human
remains (those numbers have increased slightly since then), but on the whole
the tribes were too financially strapped to make the journey or too
overwhelmed by the reams of paper they were receiving to do much more than
issue a polite thank you.  To a person, the tribal members were polite,
helpful, encouraging, and, in most respects, grateful that the collections
(and the ancestors) were being cared for in a sensitive and respectful
manner. Many members indicated they were waiting to construct tribal museums
before asking for repatriation.
	Shortly after I moved to working in small museums. The attitude of
fear absolutely pervades the small museum community. I've spoken with
trustees, members, patrons, volunteers, and staff that have these bizarre
ideas that if they fess up to having Native American collections that hordes
of Indians are going to invade their museum, steal the collection, and leave
the museum with nothing. Others fear that they will be dragged into court
because they didn't know what to report, who to report to, or how.  I've
heard of only a handful of small museums even being contacted by tribal
representatives.
	The impression I have is that there is more mis-information and
mis-understanding about repatriation that not.  Yes, the fears are
irrational, but isn't that true with most fears? A directed education
program at the local museum association level could only help -- now 14
years after the fact.

Regards,
Michelle