From:
Diana Zlatanovski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Apr 2005 19:50:17 -0500
Private collection managers may be interested in the following message
regarding a private collection managers networking group, as posted on
the AAM Registrars listserv:

---------------------
Hello, all --

As a registrar for a private collection, I have confronted issues that
are different from those I dealt with in a museum setting.  On the other
hand, so much of what I do has remained the same.  Most of the
collections care, documentation, and computerization issues are the
same, but some of the
tax, governance, and title issues differ.   I would like to form some
sort  of networking group/ subcommittee of RC-AAM for registrars,
curators, and collections managers from corporate or private
collections, galleries, and similar for-profit organizations.

Please drop me a line, on or off-list, and let me know if you are
interested in this kind of endeavor.  I will be at the annual meeting in
Indianapolis and would be eager to meet people working in other
non-museum environments.

Sincerely,
Miriam Katz

Miriam Katz
Textile Registrar, Cotsen Management Corporation
former registrar, Jewish Museum of Maryland
former assistant registrar, Autry Museum of Western Heritage

**************************************
Diana Zlatanovski
Research Curator

Wisconsin State Historical Society
816 State Street
Madison, WI 53706
(608) 264-6574
>>> [log in to unmask] 04/05/05 3:28 PM >>>
I am interested in learning whether there is professional support out
there for curators and managers of private collections --organizations,
meetings, forums, chat rooms, coffee klatches, etc.  Obviously, many
standards of care and the issues surrounding them remain the same as for
museum professionals, yet I'm certain there are concerns specific to
this smaller subset of art professionals that colleagues might share.
Thanks!

Janet Farber

The Museum-L FAQ file is located at
read "help" (without the quotes).