From:
Eric Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Jun 2005 10:59:09 -0400
A not-unreasonable solution, in my opinion, given the current state of
things and the policies of the Smithsonian itself.  We certainly may wish
the Smithsonian hadn't put itself in this situation, but it is there and
they probably did what they could given that fact.

In quoting Jefferson about the marketplace of ideas, I wasn't so much
arguing that the Smithsonian itself (or at least the NMNH) ought to be *the*
place to hear all sides of this debate (though it might yet be a good
place).  Several people made the good point that the NMNH has a mission that
is strictly scientific in purpose, and that I agree with.  I was arguing on
a broader level that all sides should be heard in a debate of this nature.

In part, it was a response to the tone in a number of posts that strike me
as being almost fear of ID and its proponents--that science somehow won't
stand up in that marketplace of ideas in a fair "fight."  It is to this
point that Jefferson spoke, for me.  I don't think science needs to fear
going up against ID or religion as a teleology--unless of course the real
concern is that science wouldn't get a fair hearing.  And if *that's* the
case, the problem is in a social system that hasn't equipped us to handle a
debate of this nature (in which at the very least we have to understand and
agree on terms being used by all the participants in particular ways).  But
then the solution isn't in choking off venues for ideas with which we may
not agree--it is in reforming the social/educational system so that we can
openly compare competing notions.  Marginalization of ideas is a poor
solution, in my opinion, when open, informed debate is more likely to render
a final verdict in the long run.

I happen to believe that ID as a particular response to Darwinism leaves a
great deal to be desired--it may at most raise questions that science has
not yet fully answered, but that doesn't mean science can't or won't answer
them.  But at the same time, I have no problem agreeing with George's
anthropologists, believing deeply in both a creator God and a natural world
and its processes that we describe through science.  The division between
religion and science is, to me, a false dichotomy--they concern themselves
with different (but equally real) areas of the human experience.  In broad
terms, one might say one is most concerned with "why" and the other with
"how."

But then, that's wandering pretty far afield for a museum discussion list
and I'll leave it at that!

Peace,

--Eric

Eric D. M. Johnson
Proprietor
The Village Factsmith Historical Research & Consulting
http://www.factsmith.com/