From:
Julia Moore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Mar 2005 12:46:08 -0500
She was probably taught to write that way in grad school.  I know I was.

I often regret that there isn't more interaction along the lines of what we
are now enjoying between the world of museums and the world of public art
that I now inhabit.  Public art administrators and public collections
curators are well aware that the work they install has to have the
intellectual accessibility, yet include elements of interest and challenge,
that will inspire people to further their interest in art by visiting art
museums, where their interest will be given form and structure.  It is a
pity that there are curators such as your ex-curator who feel that the
majority of those of us who work in the public realm are doing both the
field of art and the institution of art museums a disservice by being TOO
populist.  In truth, we are trying to bring art museums' values out to where
people can encounter them without that pervasive feeling of intimidation
this thread has been discussing.  The fact that in 2004 the Public Art
Network awarded Jenny Holzer their annual, coveted "who's done most for the
field" award proves this.

Julia Muney Moore
Public Art Administrator and
Project Manager, Art Program, New Indianapolis Airport
Blackburn Architects
3388 Founders Rd
Indianapolis, IN  46268
317.875.5500 x230