From:
Ann Mintz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Mar 2005 15:11:26 -0500
If I can add my two cents here, as someone who is also in the middle of the bell curve-- I've done more exhibits than some, and a lot less than others.   Cost per square foot is a very helpful tool. It provides an order of magnitude estimate.  As Eugene points out, the figure is useful at the beginning of a project, but it also is helpful as a communications tool.  The combination of cost per square foot with images can provide pretty good information about an exhibit planner/manager's capabilities, though you need to know what questions to ask to understand what went into the cost.  (There is no standard for what costs are included in an exhibit budget.)

We have to have some agreed- to way to communicate and cost per square foot is one way that emerged quite a while ago.  Yes, costs differ in different places.  Yes, some vendors are more expensive than others. Yes, some kinds of interactivity drive up expense, and high-end theming is very costly.   Some cars are more expensive than others too, but it's still possible to compare cost and options between different makes and models.

Ann Mintz
Chester County Historical Society