From:
Lucy Sperlin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Jun 2005 16:22:44 -0700
Amanda,

What you are really looking for, I think, is how to classify a bale of
cotton, of which this is a sample.  A bale of cotton is raw (natural)
material, but when the boles are gathered and created into a bale it becomes
a man-made artifact, and crosses the line from natural history where a
cotton bole might be placed.

Two possible major categories that come to mind are Textileworking T & E,
and Artifact Remnant (an incomplete part of an artifact created to fulfill
some human function which can't be determined) under Unclassifiable
Artifacts.

The Artifact Remnant category lists "TEXTILE FRAGMENT" and reminds us of
related terms: BOLT, CLOTH and SALES SAMPLE, CLOTH.

Because the bale of cotton is analogous to the bolt of cloth (one just
farther along in the manufacturing process than the other) I think I'd
choose Textileworking T & E, adding the name BALE, COTTON, then note in the
catalog description that it is a sample.

(I believe one of the protocols is to use the name of the whole item if you
have only a part of the item.)

In the past, for raw material, I've also used the category FUNCTION UNKNOWN
under 'Unclassifiable Artifacts' with the added term PREPARED RAW MATERIAL.

Lucy Sperlin
Patrick Ranch
Chico, California