From:
Mario Bucolo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Oct 2004 01:41:51 +0200
I was last week in Seoul, attending ICOM general assembly.
I'm a member of Icom/MPR committees and I also attend the assembly with
intention to present my candidature for the board of MPR committees thinking
that my reference can be presented to the members, hoping someone can vote
for me.

Icom rules for international committees board election candidature are very
clear:
" The outgoing Board must circulate all voting members inviting nominations
at least four months before the date of the meeting, fixing a closing date
for nominations (not less than two months before the date of the meeting)"
Never one from MPR board or secretary follow this rules, no one write to 238
members to inform about this procedure or to inform about the board
election. Anyway I follow the Icom rules and I was sent my candidature to
the chair of MPR by the time.

When I arrive in Seoul I start to ask to the chair Mr. Paal Mork from Norway
how is the procedure for the candidature to the board. He and the outgoing
board was very clear, the game was ready, the board decide who will be in
the new 2004/2007 MPR board!

But the unbelievable behavior of the Chair was without any limit, absolutely
not democratic. Before the board election, he show a slide where he was
confirmed as the chair of the committee and where the office of Vice-chair,
Secretary and the treasurer was assign...BEFORE the election of the new
board...very funny...

But the Icom rules are also very clear on the quorum for meeting:
" For the triennial plenary meeting and Committee elections, the quorum is
10% of the voting membership present personally or represented by proxy. It
is therefore most important that members unable to attend the triennial
meeting are encouraged to nominate other voting members as their proxy in
order to ensure that the assembly and ballot is quorate. "

The election of 6 october don't have the quorum, 238 are voting members of
MPR, only 21 members was present in Seoul meeting (18 vote for the proposed
chair and board). And the 238 members don't receive any communication about
the chance to can vote with by proxy.
When I express my opinion that the election was not valid because there is
no quorum, the chair Paal Mork answer that "if we wait for the quorum at
every meeting we will never elect a new board". A meeting of committee
chairs stated to don't proceed, as correct, to any election without the
quorum.

The MPR committee is one of the most great in ICOM so the 238 member must to
be well represent and correctly informed about the activities and about the
chance to can elect candidate with relevant reference.

The outgoing board decide that part of the board need to be members of the
countries where the annual meeting will be held. For next 3 year they choose
a Finland and African member because in 2005 the MPR meeting will be held in
Finland and in 2006 in Africa. I know both two members and are person with
good reference but it is very unbelievable that the choice was made only for
this reason.

It also very not clear why in the outgoing and in the new tentative board
there is a concentration of members from Scandinavian countries. The
proposed new board are composed in this way: Norway, Sweden, Finland, The
Netherlands, Slovenia, Italy, Korea, Kenya.
It is very evident that USA was not represented as Russia etc. By the way in
a board candidate must to be express and elect by their professional
reference and not for any geographical expression.

For the inobservance of two important ICOM rules (quorum and inviting
nomination) and for the unbelievable behavior in the presentation of the
board member elected as officer before the election of new board, is my (and
many other colleagues) opinion that the MPR board election was not valid and
not represent MPR members vision.

I write a letter with the description of the events to the ICOm secretariat
and to both two candidate Icom president where I ask to clear this election
and reset the board to avoid any other not democratic election..
I hope, trusting in ICOM, that members will be protect form any abuse.

--
Mario Bucolo, ABIS MultiCom & Museumland CEO

Visit http://www.museumland.com
The WorldWide Portal to museums and cultural heritage

ABIS MultiCom S.r.l. - Multimedia & Communication
Via Milano n.61 - 95127 Catania - Italy
Ph: +39-095-38.70.92
Fax: +39-095-38.70.67
Email: [log in to unmask]