From:
Rachel Roberts <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Mar 2005 09:42:52 -0600

There is also the issue of school field trips.  When I was in school, we
made trips to the local science museum because the trips could be made to
fit school curriculum requirements.  We made only one trip to an art museum,
and that was for a European History class in high school.  There were only
about 20 of us.  The science museum field trips we took in elementary school
would take the whole grade level.

I've not read or conducted any studies on this, so of course take my
commentary for what it is, but it seems to me that if kids grow up going to
science museums, they're probably more likely to keep going to science
museums than to go to art museums.  Science museums don't seem to mean the
same thing to a lot of the public as other museums do.  Shoot, the science
museum here in Dallas isn't even called a museum.  It's called "The Science
Place," and they get a lot more school group visits than the other five or
six museums/learning centers located in the same park.

Rachel Roberts

Dallas Historical Society
214.421.4500 ext. 110