From:
Randall Hees <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Jun 2004 17:29:10 -0700
There are several products, mostly epoxy based, which can be used to
consolidate rotten wood.  Once the exsisting material is consolidated,
there are relaited products, also epoxy based used to replace missing
material.

These are commonly used by railroad preservation groups.  They are also
frequently used by the owners of wooden boats.

I have used the products offered by abatron with lots of success. (
http://www.abatron.com/home ).  I have also used a product called "Get Rot"
to consolidate the old material, followed by a system of epoxy fillers
offered under the name "West System" nd sold through West Marine.  The
results were similar, but the West System offered more options.  The
material is supposed to be toxic to bugs and fungus.

If well used, these can allow a conservetor to preserve original material
and the return an artifact to a usable condition.  The repairs would also
be clearly identifiable by later observers.  I have also seen problems when
the epoxys are too freely used on large wooden assemblies, locking joints,
and changing the way the artifact flexes and moves.  Finally, epoxys
repairs are not very good when exposed to weather.

Randy Hees
Patterson House at Ardenwood Farm
Fremont, CA

read "help" (without the quotes).