From:
Diane Gutenkauf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 May 2004 11:45:48 -0400
I can't help this....sorry

Dead things don't need to eat.....

In a more helpful spirit...your options are 1) contact the American
Institute for Conservation for a referal to a conservator in your area who
can give you good advice; 2) search Conservation OnLine for preservation
advice for wood (http://palimpsest.stanford.edu); 3) read Dave Harvey's
last posting and the one about sticky linseed oil on doors. Oh, yeah,
you're the one with the formal training, don't be afraid to thank the
volunteer for his advice and to remind him that our ideas of collections
care have changed over time. What one might do with a personal object that
gets daily use and what one might do with an object entrusted to our care
for eternity is necessarily different.

Diane Gutenkauf
Manager, Interpretation & Exhibits
The Morton Arboretum
4100 Illinois Route 53
Lisle IL 60532
630.719.2461 (v)
630.719.2433 (f)

On Mon, 17 May 2004 09:32:42 -0600, Erin Quinn <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>I have a volunteer who insists that we should be "feeding" our wood with
linseed and/or orange oil.  I know that this is not the correct thing to do
but have yet to say anything that convinces him.  Any suggestions for a
tactful way to tell him this is not the best thing for the wood?