From:
Indigo Nights <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Aug 2004 16:35:10 -0700
I put together a very, very inexpensive fund raiser
for an organization (not a museum) that only cost a
few dollars to pull together, but raised a couple of
thousand (in pure profit).

Lots of people like to go to garage sales.  Lots of
people like to know "how the other half lives."  So I
combined the two and got a number of executives to
contribute "things" for a silent auction.  They could
be things from their home, or activities.  We got
ceramics, and used appliances; we also got someone's
photo in a crazy costume with an opportunity to have
lunch at a foofy restaurant, the use of someone's
parking space (executive) for a month, white water
rafting, and lunch on someone else's boat.

You might ask your chamber of commerce to see if they
would be willing to kick in for such an event.  Heads
of companies in your area (large or small) who might
want to unload something for the event (one person's
trash is another person's treasure).  The only cost
came from the table tents describing each item, and
some buttons (I bought them in bulk to make it look
like it was out of the garage) and doilies I put
around to spruce it up.

Doing it as a silent auction means less work all
around.

Hope this helps.

=====
Indigo Nights