From:
Guy Hermann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Jul 2004 09:48:43 -0400
> I hope that some of you will be able to help me out.  We are looking
> at having the floors in our collections storage area replaced and I
> was wondering what sort of things I should be concerned about, as I
> have no experience in this area.  Do I need to worry about what type
> of flooring is installed, what type of glue is used, off-gassing,
> etc…?  Is there a certain type of floor and/or you would recommend?
> Any help would be much appreciated—please reply off-list to
> [log in to unmask]  Thanks in advance!

I would add a few notes to what others have said.

        1) Epoxy is an excellent choice for low maintenance and durability,
can be expensive initially, but is very inexpensive to maintain.
        2) Carpet actually has a relatively high initial cost as well as
higher ongoing costs.
        3) Off-gassing from materials and adhesives is a concern, but can be
minimized with the newer "green" alternatives.
        4) Vinyl is inexpensive to install, but can be expensive to maintain,
depending on use.
        5) Linoleum is seeing a resurgence as a "green" material, but isn't
recommended in areas that can get wet.

If you want a resilient flooring, I would look at rubber.  Rubber has
many of the acoustic and cushioning benefits of carpet without the
concerns about dust, dirt, and bugs.  It is initially more expensive
than vinyl (comparable to good carpet), but is among the least
expensive materials to maintain and has a relatively long life span.
It also typically has a very high recycled materials content.

------------------------------
Guy Hermann
Director of Museum Planning
E. Verner Johnson and Associates